I asked the question a few weeks ago about why the church has been resistant to change how it deals with sexual abuse. These responses were powerful.
1. We may have to demolish a power structure
2. It may mar our preferred view of church
3. It may mess with reputation
4. It would tear down an illusion
5. It messes with identity
6. It interferes with non-disclosure clauses
7. It ruins PR
8. It may trigger memories of assaulting another
I talk about these issues and more in WE TOO. You can order your copy here:
How about you? Why do you think the church is resistant to change in this area?